Friday, July 29, 2011

Roatan II (July 23)

On Saturday morning, I returned to the coral reef to snorkel and spent nearly the entire day inspecting the enormous variety of colorful marine life. This time I swam at a different reef, but eventually had to return to shore when my goggles began leaking more than I could tolerate.

For lunch, some of us went to a random restaurant that was reasonably priced. While waiting for our food, however, a man was doing carpentry work with a hammer, sawhorse, and power saw, which was very loud, filling the air with sawdust. I stuffed my ears with napkin to protect them from the extreme noise, and simultaneously lost all confidence in the quality of the food that we would be served. I ordered fish tacos, but was entirely disappointed by them. Later, I suspected them to be the cause of the food poisoning that struck me over the night.

After lunch, Ariel and I went out to the reef I had seen the day before, and we spent about as much time talking as swimming around the reef. Later, I learned that there were many sharks in the water while we were swimming. According to one of the diving guides, “Yeah, right now we have about eight hammerheads here,” he said. “Don’t worry; they’re friendly.”

By dinner time I was feeling quite sick, but ate anyway in hopes that things might improve. Something that did not help was the restaurant’s entertainment choices, however, as they played a Lady Gaga DVD at overdriven volume through our entire dinner. From being sick, again, I had to leave dinner early.

No comments:

Post a Comment